Our InvENtor Spotlight for January is on Gwendolyn G! Gwendolyn has been a member of the Edison Nation community since 2018 and is an active Insider!
Where is your home town?
My home town is in Ocala, Florida.
Where do you currently reside?
I currently live in Ocala, Florida.
What is your professional background?
I am a US Air Force Veteran, with Occupational experience in Corrections, Medical Service, and currently Education, as a High School Teacher.
How did you initially hear about Edison Nation?
I initially learned about EN from an Magazine Article (I think it was an Invention magazine).
What inspired you to start inventing?
I was inspired to start inventing after learning about the success of many famous inventors. Also, my inspiration for inventing is fueled by my creativeness; I have always been a very creative person, which drives my passion to invent new products and entertain new ways of doing things.
Do you find that invention ideas come to you or do you have to go after them?
That’s a two-way street: invention ideas seem to come to me frequently; also I go after them.
New ideas have actually come to me in dreams. After awakening, I knew that the “dream idea” needed to come to reality soon. Also, because I’m always thinking of ways to improve products or services, I go after products to make them better.
When did you come up with your first great idea?
I came up with my first “great” idea several decades ago. It was a nutcracker; designed to easily crack nuts! I was very excited about my new nutcracker invention and spent too much money chasing my dreams of getting it on the market. Yes; I was scammed by crooked invention companies – end of story!
Have you ever collaborated with another inventor(s) on a project? If so, how was that experience for you?
I did an invention project with my students several years ago. A lot of brilliant invention ideas was created by my students. I examined their ideas and provided them candid feedback. It was a fun project that everyone enjoyed.
What are some general industry trends you have noticed recently?
Some general industry trends that I have recently noticed are the following:
- Smaller is often more popular (electronics)
- Men’s fashion is changing, more colorful (bow ties, pocket squares)
- Women/Girls hair and hair accessories, lipsticks, are more colorful (hair dies, weave, scarfs, bright colors)
- Diet & Nutrition products are booming (Paleo Bars)
- Women’s false eyelashes are popular products
- Fitness & exercise products and services are very popular
How long have you been a member of Edison Nation?
I have been a member of EN for about a year.
Can you provide us with some details around your experiences and journey to date?
I have enjoyed submitting several new product ideas to different searches on EN for evaluation. My ideas usually move through several stages of the evaluation process quickly before encountering roadblocks. Edison Nation does an excellent job providing feedback on inventors ideas. I also enjoy creating sparks for my new ideas.
What advice would you tell others embarking on their own invention journeys?
My advice for new inventors:
- To get to where you’re trying to go with your “new invention” you need to make the right connections. Edison Nation is a great connection resource.
- You could save yourself a lot of money and valuable time by researching your new idea: Research – Research – Research. Check Amazon, Google (Images, Shopping, Patent’s) crowdfunding websites, inside stores…
- Before presenting your ideas to prospective companies always research the companies first. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is a good place to start your research.
What would you consider as your biggest failure and what did you learn from it?
I consider my biggest failure is when I dealt with invention companies that resulted in monetary loss.
Over the years; have spent a small fortune on trying to move my inventions to the market; I have learned a lot about identifying and avoiding fraudulent invention companies.
What are some other fun facts about yourself that you’d like to share with the EN community?
In addition to inventing, I enjoy collecting antiques, old comic books and coins as a hobby. I’m diligently searching for that rare million dollar coin. However, finding that valuable, rare coin will not hinder my inventing journey because that will never stop